Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Registering to Vote and submitting a ballot is fast, easy, and can be done from anywhere in the world - even Mexico!

Start by confirming your voter registration with your state.  Some states require absentee voters to register annually so you may need to re-register.  Go to to connect to your state’s voter portal to register to vote, request a ballot, and more.  Once you confirm your registration, follow a few simple steps to vote in the 2020 U.S. elections:

1.   Request Your Ballot: Most states provide the option to request ballots through their state election portals, which you can easily access via  You can also choose to complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA).  The completion of the FPCA allows you to request absentee ballots for all elections for federal offices (President, U.S. Senate, and U.S. House of Representatives) including primaries and special elections during the calendar year in which it is submitted.  FPCA forms that are correctly filled out and include a signature and date are accepted by all local election officials in every U.S. state and territory.  FVAP’s easy online assistant can assist you with completing the FPCA.  Whether you request your ballot through your state’s portal or the FPCA, we encourage you to select the option for receiving your ballot electronically (by email, internet download, or fax) when available.  This is the fastest way for you to get your ballot and ensures you have it in time to return a completed form before your state’s deadline. 

2.   Receive and Complete Your Ballot:  States are required to send out ballots 45 days before a regular election for federal office and states generally send out ballots at least 30 days before primary elections.  Most states allow you to confirm your ballot delivery online.

3.   Return Your Completed, Signed Ballot:  Some states allow you to return your completed ballot electronically and others do not.  If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials by mail, you can do so through international mail, professional courier service, or through U.S. Consulate General Tijuana’s diplomatic pouch.  The diplomatic pouch provides free mail service from embassies and consulates to a U.S. sorting facility.  You will need to place your ballots in postage paid return envelopes or in envelopes bearing sufficient U.S. postage, in order for them to be delivered to the proper local election authorities.  If using the diplomatic pouch, ballots can be dropped off to the American Citizen Services section by October 20, 2020, during normal operating hours  between 7:30 am and 4:15 pm.  Please note that all visitors to the Consulate are subject to security screening and you will not be permitted to bring electronic devices, including cell phones, inside the facility.  Please note that it can take up to four weeks for mail to reach its destination if sent by an embassy or consulate via diplomatic pouch.  All overseas U.S. citizens are advised to submit their forms and ballots accordingly.

Researching the Candidates and Issues:  Online Resources.  Go to the FVAP links page for helpful resources to aid your research of candidates and issues.  Non-partisan information about candidates, their voting records, and their positions on issues are widely available and easy to obtain on-line.  You can also read national and hometown newspapers on-line, or search the internet to locate articles and information.  For information about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP's Voting Alerts ( FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook (@DODFVAP), Twitter (@FVAP), and Instagram (@fvapgov).

Learn more at the Federal Voting Assistance Program's (FVAP) website,  If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact U.S. Consulate General Tijuana at

Within Mexico:  01-664-977-2000
From the United States:  1-301-985-8665

State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Skype or Telephone Consultations Concerning Your US Expat and International Taxes By an Attorney and CPAs available abroad

 If you have specific tax questions on: 

  • US Expatriate taxation
  • US Nonresident Taxation
  • US International Taxation
  • Doing business in the US as a nonresident
  • Reducing your US taxes when living abroad.
  • IRS or State Tax Collections Problems
  • Coordinating your Mexico taxes with your US taxes

You can discuss your situation with a US expatriate international tax expert Attorney , with the protection of  Attorney-Client privilege by requesting a "Mini Consultation."   A Mini Consultation costs  $300US for up to 30 minutes of Mr. Don Nelson's professional legal tax advice over the phone, or by skype or email.  No need to visit his office.

  If  you send us an outline of your  factual situation and questions in advance, he can  prepare in advance for the consultation which makes the consultation extremely effective and efficient  and usually resolves all of your questions  within the time allowed. Over 1,000  expat taxpayers and nonresidents located everywhere in the world  have used "Mini Consultations" to solve their tax problems and issues with great success.  Our US Phone is (949) 480-1235. US Fax (949) 606-9627 or you can talk on my skype at  dondnelson (skype address) . Email don at :  US International Tax Expert Attorney. Consultations are also available on WhatsApp.  

Payment can  be made by credit card, echeck, paypal, or wire transfer. If your questions or problems are URGENT let us know and we can often schedule your mini consultation on the same day.  DOWNLOAD A MINI CONSULTATION ENGAGEMENT AGREEMENT TO START NOW.

Don D. Nelson, International Tax Attorney at Law
Partner Kauffman Nelson LLP , Certified Public Accountants
Huntington Beach, California, USA

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

SAT is Verifying Compliance with Tax Requirements on Rental Income.

SAT, the Secretary of Attention to Taxpayers, the equivalent of the US – IRS, Internal Revenue Service, and Canada’s CRA Canadian Revenue Agency, is reviewing social media sites, including Air BnB and VRBO, to determine who is offering property for rent and who is receiving unreported income.

Evasion of tax is a criminal offense. Articles 150 to 178 of the Fiscal Code provide for imprisonment of up to six years for evasion of taxes. Not only is it a criminal offense but the taxpayer must pay the past due taxes and very substantial interest penalties which amount to 1.3% per month, compounded. Unless taxes and accrued penalties are paid in a timely manner the property can be seized and put up for auction. Additionally, in a reform of Article 118 of the Fiscal Code, no landlord may demand payment of past due rent in the courts without submitting proof of tax compliance.

The Mexican government has decreed that income generated from the rent of a Mexican property is due and payable in Mexico, regardless of where the income is received. And it is getting very serious in its efforts to collect this tax and to punish those who evade payment, whether through intention or ignorance. SAT has determined ignorance is not a legitimate excuse. This growing issue and omission now represents a glaring 1% of Mexico’s Gross Domestic Product. Mexican authorities are anxious to correct this shortfall.

There are programs in place for both Residents in Mexico and Non-Residents of Mexico, to declare and pay the lawful taxes which include both the tax on income (ISR) and, in the case of a unfurnished rental, the 16% added value tax (IVA). Realistically there is no way to legally avoid declaring and payment of these taxes. To continue to evade this responsibility will put the affected property at risk.

And the good news, due to Mexico’s tax treaties with 32 countries, double taxation is never an issue.

For details on how to clean up your tax obligation and proceed, please contact Read more about the Mexican income and iva taxes on rental income at If you wish to discuss your situation and how to resolve it with a US Attorney with expertise in Mexico taxes EMAIL US TAX ATTORNEY